Friday, September 17, 2010

Autumn Apples

It is apple season again.  It sends my kids into a frenzy of picking at my parent's house.  They have two young trees that compete to over produce.  The kids have no limits on picking and bring me every apple they pick. 
We discovered that instead of sending the horses into colic by overfeeding them, we make apple betty.  If you click on the link, it takes you to a standard recipe for it.  I substitute the sugar and make half white, half brown.  I also double the batch.  Just a tip, when slicing up that many apples, put them in a bowl of water with some lemon juice to prevent browning while you cut and peel.
The kids enjoy this tasty treat and I don't mind making it.  It is so much easier and faster than a standard apple pie, and can be made in a large casserole dish.

Today marks the third batch I have made in the past month.  The first batch went to Caitlyn's class, where her school mates sang her praises and loved it.  We have to be careful in that class, as one girl has chocolate allergies.  Bummer, since chocolate is my bestie.

Speaking of friends, the kids are having quite the social year.  James and Conner (and sometimes Caitlyn) spend Friday mornings with their friends (Grant, Eli and Sawyer) and then we also have our Ms. Andrea come over, often with Emma and Caden.

Caitlyn certainly enjoys the girl time with Emma and Caden and the boys just roll along. On Mondays, after school, we have Allie and Alex stay for a bit.  My house is filled with squeals, laughter and running little feet.  We have moved well beyond the pitter patter, seeing as how all the boys take after their daddy!

The dogs think this arrangement is fabulous.  They also score extra time with Andrea and Caden on school mornings when we all meet to walk at the Walking Trails, other wise know as Prairie Dog Town.  Every school day, after ms. Tawna picks up the kiddos (God bless you) the dogs know it is walk time.  The whine and fuss, waiting for me to leash them up and go to the car.  We enjoy a one and a quarter mile brisk walk, with time out for "business", watching prairie dogs or the occasional detour from a sunbathing snake.
(Which, honestly Mom, doesn't happen that often, you should join us.)

So now, as the temperature slowly sinks more each week, I await the crisp autumn mornings.  I await the time where I will walk faster to stay warm, and get more exercise.
  So I can eat more apple betty.


So, how was your day?

No comments: