Wednesday, November 17, 2010

The power of Words

Words have power.  From, "I do" to "help" to "I love you", words contain the power to change our world.  My kids are learning all about words.  They have learned one of the best things is when they spontaneously say nice things to each other.  I love to watch the recipient's face glow, and that small smile power their face.
On the other hand, my children have learned that mean words are not tolerated.  That it is far better to not say anything at all.  That slanderous words will get them a sit down.
Unfortunately too many adults haven't  learned this lesson.  While having an opinion is well and good, publicly calling someone out without speaking directly to them first is very immature and uncalled for.  If someone has done something to upset me, by all means I will speak with that person directly. 
My children are learning to speak up, at the moment of an "incident".  "You took my toy and I want it back."  "Don't call me that, it hurts my feelings." "I need my backpack, get off of it."
Maybe all of us adults can learn this simple lesson.  Tell someone, in person, and politely that something is a problem.  If you are rebuked, well, as I tell my kids, you can't control other people, you told them what was on your mind, and the better person will walk away.  Do we really need to make a public note with the person's name?  Sounds like libel to me.
Sigh, kids may be cruel to each other at times, but it is not really calculated in the way it is for adults.  We all need a better filter between thought and deed. 
There is the first stone, I am not qualified to throw it.
I don't think any of us are.


And how was your day?

No comments: