Thursday, June 21, 2012

A Gallant and Noble Friend

There seems to be much sadness here at the Rooney Ranch.....
Today we had to say Good-bye to Challenger, my father's Morgan horse.  Foaled on the exact day of the Challenger accident, he earned his name to remember those lost souls who looked to the stars and found Heaven.
He was an arrogant snot who was very friendly and would lick continually until your guard was down, then he would take a nip.  Nothing serious, just a reminder that his teeth were bigger.
Everywhere he went, it was a parade and he flew his tail high to let all admire him.  He was a clown, a bossy meanie, a softie and a trail leader.
My father nursed him through colic surgery and later on, Challenger nursed my father through a heart attack.  He was likable to all, but most fond of my father.  I would take him on rides where he would gait his way through a trail, yet always glad to be back to my father, his buddy.




I was with this fine horse when he slipped the bonds of earth.  He cast off a crippled body and galloped off to the greener pastures. 

So, to Challenger, may you find lush meadows, smooth trails and cool water.....and lots and lots of carrots.

No comments: