Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Dye job

Who has two thumbs and loves dyeing yarn?
BAZINGA!

I tried a new technique, after seeing a gorgeous headband on a fellow rider at a horse show.  It was a slice of awesome and I loved it.

Ombre is the rage and I jumped on board.  It fits with my color fascination.  Why settle for one hue of a color when you can have range!

Step one: Break out the bare yarn from knit picks and make a headband!

Step Two: Soak in water and vinegar to help the color break!



Step Three: Boil some water and vinegar, once again, help that color strike quickly!

Step Four: Add dye.  I use a food coloring from the cake section at Hobby Lobby.  Cheap with a great selection of colors!
 
 Step Five: gently dip in headband, holding the center cord, so not all goes in.  Remember, the dye will travel.
 
 
Step Six: Gently remove headband in small seven minute increments.  In this case, I used the hinge on a cabinet to hold it up.
 
 
Step seven: Remove, rinse with wool wash, in my case cucumber melon!  And dry!
 
And how was your day?
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments: