Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Clear Skies and calm winds


Yesterday, in her home in Ireland, famous Sci-fi author, Anne McCaffery died.  She was 85. She began writting partly because she hated the way women were represented in sci-fi literature.
I discovered her novels as a junior in high school.  I have remained a loyal and steadfast fan of her works. 
Her Dragonriders of Pern series are by far my favorite, but I also found much enjoyment in her many other series, including her brain ship series, which stressed the importance of brains over beauty.  She pinoeered not just the wonderful art of taking readers to new worlds, but investing her novels with as much science as was applicable.  Education and the pursuit of knowledge were always stressed for both her male and female characters.
Someday, when we discover new worlds that are alike to our own, I hope that, for Anne, we name one Pern.
Good flying, Anne, find clear skies and fair winds.

No comments: