Wednesday, November 2, 2011

The People In the Community

A community isn't just a collection of people that all happen to live in close proximity to one another.  A community is also more than just a collection of people working toward a common good.  Community is that rare feeling of kindred spirit you feel when you are working with a diverse group of people.  Community is grabbing a hand that reaches out for help, offering to open a door, chopping apples and offering a smile. 
Wait....chopping apples?  Yes, and celery.  And being elbow deep in a salad mix (relax, severe handwashing in progress, I have proof).  Where have I been and what have I been doing?
Every year the First United Methodist Church in Portales has a Turkey Dinner.  This dinner has been served in our community for fifty-eight years!  This means over an entire human generation.  Babies have been born, come into adulthood and had children of their own.  The church has fed them through it.
Some Amazing Facts:
46 turkeys
84 Gallons of Green Beans
450 apples
250 Pumpkin Pies
26 large roasters of dressing
156 dozen rolls
150 bunches of celery
18 gallons of Cranberry sauce
Last year, 1855 dinners were served!  In a town of only 17,000.  I find that number astounding. 
But, may I say, let us part the curtain and go behind the counter and into the kitchen.  I have participated in the consumption of this dinner for many years, but this is the first year I have had the honor of helping to prepare it.
Every year, volunteers are called for.  Baking pies, corn bred, cooking turkeys and chopping apples.  Many years I have wanted to, but the pulls of motherhood has kept me from participating.  For all of those who have the time, but decided not to help....boy, have you missed out on something good.
None of the work is arduous,  and you are greeted with a warm welcome and a smile.
There are no orders issued, just the wonderfuly turned phrase of, "I'm going to let you...." and insert chore of choice.  When you accidentally spill, everyone laughs and you are told, "You still won't get fired. Nice try."
The men and women are all of a generation that learned to give and to do.  They are from a group of people that don't take breaks according to clocks, but push on because, "I am also done!"  Apples by the score were washed and we cut and quartered them.  They were chopped further. Celery met the same fate. 
When I asked to keep the cores for my horses, it was greeted with warm enthusiasm.  My horses made out today, apple bits that made them nicker from a bag so heavy it almost ripped.
I was new to the system, but quickly intergrated.  I worked smoothly along side men and women who have participated in this even since their own young adulthoods.  The youngest person was the son of the chairperson and he called his mother mama, and her parents, Grandmother and Grandfather.  He was a very young adult and sported a newly broken hand, no less.  He did more one handed than so many other whole body people do.  I was proud to see him, and a few others of my generation.  But, quite frankly, it is the generation prior to mine that is so generous of their time and efforts.  Their sincere efforts motivated me to step up my own, to be more but not for myself, to be more of myself for others.









We made jokes, we laughed, we helped, we washed and we were a communtiy.  We were men and women united not just in purpose, but on purpose.  We were a fellowship of Christians, making dinner that would be served to all who come.  There is no discrimination.  Everyone will be invited in, welcomed with a smile.
Just as I was, this morning.

And how was your day?

No comments: