Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Only living in the country can you......

Country living has some draw backs.  There is no huge mall.  Our micro-mall is twenty five minutes away and boasts all of four department stores and a handful of small retailers.  If we want "real" shopping, we travel two hours to Lubbock, TX. 

Hospitals are small and are mostly for basic things. Don't get me wrong, I am so grateful they are here, but specialty care is twenty five minutes away, and even then, all trauma gets flown to....Lubbock, TX.

The scenery is boring.  I won't lie.

There is dirt every where.  I often wonder how people on TV wear such gorgeous clothing and shoes and I realize, they are on some form of concrete or man made flooring, ALL THE TIME!  I have regular shoes, but then there are yard shoes, barn shoes and riding boots.  Sometimes it is just easier to wear the boots all the time.

Dirt migrates.  I am not lying.  It creeps in every crack and "sealed" door.  It collects on electronics, the tops of books, the floor, it is pervasive and it is eternal.  Don't even get me started if some of those barn shoes are worn into the house.

Bugs.  And Mice.  Yes, being surrounded by fields is great, but those fields aren't empty.  Your home is a beacon of food, water and shelter for all things that creep, crawl and slither.  I am not a fan.

Amazon.  Remember what I said about shopping?  Everything is off the internet. 

No pizza delivery. 

Then again, it is quiet.  It is serene.  It is the ideal place for children. 

Can city kids do this?


This is driving home from Grandma's house.  The less than two miles.
 
Rain produces PUDDLES and little brothers get stuck.
Trick or Treating gets real
Snow shouldn't keep you inside
Improvised swimming pool
 
Normal kid behavior
 
more "normal" behavior
Shaving cream is an acceptable weapon
 
 
Your bestie can be a bird
Your hard work pays off in wonderful ways
And Glow in the Dark Capture the Flag was never more fun
 
So, while I may have to drive into town for pizza, and sometimes, I would really like some shopping without planning a road trip, I wouldn't change the way my kids are being raised.  The freedom they have, the responsibilities they are learning, the understanding that they gain.  Worth all of it.
 
And how was your day?
 

No comments: