Thursday, April 1, 2010

Couch Debris


KABOOM!
My family room could not look any worse should a bomb explode.
Let me back up a minute.
Steve and I recently bought a sectional sofa unit. This was huge for us. We haven't bought new family room furniture in 13 years. Our other sofa died a slow horrible kid related death (augmented by dogs) and we replaced it with one from Freecycle (God bless you!). The "new" one had some years on it, but at least the cushions weren't half eaten!
So we had a mismatched set for some time now.
Then there was a huge sale at Skeen Furniture Warehouse. We got this wonderful section over 50% off! Yay!!
It comes today!
So what is the logical thing to do while I wait? Move the old ones and give the floor a fresh cleaning while nothing is there!
Oh-Em-Gee. When I flipped back the love seat, the "check" under it.....I think I hit my target pulse rate.
Under the couch were the expected dog bones and the errant seven pair less socks. BUT WAIT! There's more!
I also found no less than one ray gun and three cap guns (arsenal?) a years worth of granola bar wrappers and empty gogurt tubes (it is a wonder army ants didn't stage a take over). I also found the instruction manual for the Wii (don't ask), two books, a Frisbee, Lego's, game parts, dust bunnies the size of chihuahuas and marbles (I knew I lost those!)
Grumbling under my breath, I swept and cleaned and picked and trashed.
Then I went to the other couch. It made a noise when I moved it. A scary noise. I took up my broom and cautiously made my way to behind it. SCOURGE!! Popsicle wrappers, old homework that "couldn't" be found, rechargeable batteries, more of my precious marbles, more granola bar wrappers (I am pretty sure I feed my children often), three dog bones, two tennis balls (so where are the other dozen?), pencils, birthday cards, pixos, a Christmas ornament and a multitude of things I just couldn't identify.
I am humbled. I know I am out numbered, I went from playing man on man to playing zone as soon as the twins came. I know they sneak, it is a childhood rite of passage, but, WOW.
I think I am going to have to be more proactive in keeping up the family room.
I think it should start by only letting food less, sock less, toy less, naked children into the family room. Well, it's a start.

And how was your day?

3 comments:

Sarah said...

If I recall correctly, you've HAD naked children in the family room. It wasn't pretty.

Julie the Out-Numbered said...

LOL, There are often "full moons" in our house! Such is the life of boys!

Jenny said...

Yup, been there! I can't just blame the kids, though. More often than not, the wrappers/food/socks/legos belong to my husband. LOL! I make it a weekly mission to check for socks, a monthly one to move and vacuum under the sofa and recliners in the main living area (and once or twice a year the hide-a-bed one in the other living room).

I love your reference to basketball (man-to-man to zone. I didn't understand that til this year when I started helping out with Ch'ree team. LOL!)